We specialize in space dyed reed and cane, but also produce solid dyed reed and cane, as well as natural reed, cane and seagrass, plus basket weaving classes at our country facility ...
WOODLAND NANTUCKET RETREAT
Magnolia, Delaware: Coming Soon...
Summerfield, NC: Coming Soon...
ATTENTION: Please contact me and I can email a booklet
"I received my order yesterday & just wanted to tell you thanks so much. The color is spectacular. Very vibrant. I will definitely order from you again." Valorie
Add a few drop of fabric softner to your water when wetting dyed reed, helping to keep your dyed reed as dyed as possible and to prevent bleeding. Your natual reed should be wetter than yours dyed reed, so that the dyed reed wick that water to it without color and not the natural reed wicking from the dyed reed with color. The dryer you weave with both the better.
Cane has two sides the right sided is the bark and only take the dye in some places. The wrong side of the cane is porous and take the dye very good. You can weave with either side. Using the right side give you a mute look. Using the wrong side out will give you a bright look.
PLEASE READ: When you place an order, you will be charged for the items only, THEN when we determine the shipping charge (using standard USPS or UPS charges), we will send you a separate invoice for shipping. If you have any questions, please email us!
Please allow two to three weeks for delivery. I do not keep large stock so that reed and cane is fresh. Weather can cause longer delay. If it is rainy or very humid I do not dye.
All package are shipped USPS Priority Mail (Eastern Coast 1 - 2 days; Midwest 1 - 3 days; West Coast 2- 5 days) and this comes with tracking and email notification but if you would like save on shipping, we can ship USPS Ground for less. You will have to request this and we will send a refund for the different in shipping, but can take up to 10 days for West Coast. Alaska may required addition shipping and time.
All color are hand mixed and not all colors, sizes or large quantities are in stock. They will be dyed as soon as time and weather permits but this can take some time to dye and dry. We like the reed or cane to dye for at least 10 days to two weeks. If the weather is damp or very cold this can take some additional time. If you do not have this extra time please note this on your order.
I teach and vend out of town several times during the year so I can not dye during these times.
Additional shipping fees may apply for orders from Alaska or Hawaii, so please call for shipping charges.
Reed and Cane prices are going up with every shipment we receive, since supplies are being held up in China. These prices are for current stock and will increase as I dye new reed and cane. Thank you for your understanding.
Dyed Reed, Cane and Baskets
Magnolia Baskets offers a variety of space dyed and solid dyed reed and cane. Denise usually dyes 2.0mm and 2.50mm cane and does accept special requests.
Only in stock items shipped between now and Christmas. No shipping between Christmas and the 15th of January.
Please Note About Our Shipping
PLEASE READ: When you place an order, you will be charged for the items only, THEN when we determine the shipping charge (using standard USPS or UPS charges), we send you a separate invoice for shipping. If you have any questions, please email us!
All colors, sizes or amounts may not be in stock. Dying the order may take 10 days to two weeks.
The Delaware By Hand Masters Exhibition
With over 15 years’ experience some would say that Denise is already a Master of her craft.
This year Denise is being recognized not only for her baskets but for her talent. Denise was selected to be one of the 12 finalists in the Delaware by Hand Masters Exhibition.
Every few years the Biggs Museum hosts a juried competition of their Delaware By Hand artist’s membership in order to select individual artists that are deemed masters of their craft. Each artist selects several pieces of their work that will be showcased in the exhibition at the museum from April 3rd – June 14th; and on April 25th one of the 12 finalists will be selected to be the Master Crafter.
Space Dyed Reed and Cane is either reed or cane that is dyed with multiple colors. Magnolia Baskets offers several standard space dyed combinations to choose from (see Color Combinations) as well as any custom combination (additional charges may apply). All sizes are available in a full coil, and half coils may be ordered for 1/2 and 3/8 inch sizes.
|Our Newest Color: Sunset|
Solid Dyed Reed and Cane is reed or cane that is dyed with one color. Solid Colored can come in a wide variety of colors. Magnolia Baskets offers standard colors (see color color selections) but will also mix colors in order to acheive the perfect color for any basket (additional charges may apply for mixed colors).
We now have 1/4 in. Flat and 1/4 in. Flat Oval Reed in 8-yard packets.
- Space dyed $3.50 Space dyed available in our color combinations
- Solid Color $3.50 Solid Colors would be Lime green, Blue, purple, dark pink, yellow, orange, dark green, wine, turquoise, and dark blue.
Why Use Dyed Reed and Dyed Cane
Solid Dyed Reed and Cane add variety and creativity to the basket weaving process, as the basket above shows. We can show you how to use the dyed reed and cane, and will be adding more photos.
About us and our love of dying and weaving
Magnolia Baskets was established in 2004 by Denise Bendelewski under the name “ A Great Day to Dye”. Denise has over 15 years experience in the basket making, teaching, and dying business. Here's an example of our artwork, and baskets...
From our customers...
I received my order yesterday & just wanted to tell you thanks so much. The color is spectacular. Very vibrant. I will definitely order from you again. Valorie
Joni Langston gave me your email to reference to the reed she purchased from you --- It was beautiful. Elaine
I received my shipment, and I am delighted with the colors...Now I am wondering if you have anythin in a yellow/orange/red space dyed, or if that is not a viable combination. I am planning on placing an order, and picking it up at North Carolina Convention, if you will e vending there. Please let me know. thanks Sue
Basket Weaving Classes
Woodland Nantucket Retreat
Magnolia, Delaware: April 23-26, 2015 and June 25-June 28, 2015
Summerfield, NC: May 25-28, 2015 August 13-16, 2015
ATTENTION: Please contact me and I can email a booklet (302-335-3635 or firstname.lastname@example.org )
About the Retreat:
- The Woodland Nantucket Retreats are being held at Magnolia Baskets in Magnolia, Delaware, and in Summerfield, North Carolina at Handmade North Carolina Baskets.
- The studios in Delaware and North Carolina are surrounded with woods creating a relaxing atmosphere. Class space is limited to insure personal attention for every student. The Retreats are designed to fit your needs.
- The Retreats have been re-designed. Every Retreat has 2 options-4 days (Thursday through Sunday) or 3 days (Friday through Sunday) - you may choose the time that best suits your schedule and/or your project choice(s). We have added new projects and included the past favorites.
- Students will have several different options for the weekend. This year there are so many requests and choices available. We will focus on developing patterns (twills/ steps) in Nantuckets and using hardwood staves/dyed/space dyed cane. (WE HAVE SEVERAL NEW PATTERNS)
- The retreats are limited to 20 people with two teachers Joni Dee Ross and Denise Bendelewski
- If there is a Nantucket you have been dying to make we would be glad to help you make your dreams come true
Denise also co-owns and operates the Woodland Nantucket Retreats with Joni-Dee Ross who began weaving in 1996 with Denise. Joni-Dee owns Handmade North Carolina Baskets - a basket and weaving supply company. Five Woodland Retreats are held throughout the year. Students attending the Woodland Retreats work closely with Joni-Dee and Denise to design a weekend of weaving the Nantucket Basket(s) of their choice.
- Welcome to our new site! Let us know if you have any questions!
- Space Dyed Reed and Cane are our specialty so check out our great color combinations!
- With our Space Dyed Colors, we show some of the baskets weaved with these color combinations, so take a look!
- At Magnolia Baskets, we offer basket weaving classes, and show you how to use space dyed reed and cane to make very unique baskets!